Douglas County Georgia

Living. Growing. Prospering.

Departments » Engineering


Contact: Donna Bennett - Permit Specialist

8700 Hospital Drive
Douglasville, Ga 30134
Phone: 770-920-7242

The Development Control Division functions as the engineering department of the Development Services office. Responsibilities of this department include, but are not limited to, reviewing plans (residential, commercial, and industrial), permitting, inspections, bonding and identifying environmental issues associated with land development. Our purpose is to place the public's welfare above all other interests, and provide minimum requirements that help to ensure a safe and desirable community.

To be responsive to the needs and requests of the citizens of Douglas County relative to land development while ensuring applicable ordinances are followed.

ATTENTION: All plan submissions, reviews and approvals are now to be completed ONLINE at the following website

Travis McDonald, Assistant County Engineer
Travis McDonald, Assistant County Engineer 
James Worthington, Development Services Director

Travis McDonald, Assistant County Engineer

Scott Spann, Construction Monitoring Engineer

Donna Bennett, Permit Specialist

National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)
The Engineering Division maintains Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM) in the Department. The following information is available:
  • the community number;
  • the panel number and suffix;
  • the date of the FIRM;
  • the FIRM flood zone;
  • the base flood elevation (if provided on the FIRM); and
  • the elevation datum used on the FIRM.
Personnel are available to provide this information to citizens who own property, desire to sell, or desire to purchase property in Douglas County during regular office hours.

Because Douglas County participates in the National Flood Insurance Program, any property owner in Douglas County is eligible to purchase FEMA flood insurance regardless of whether or not the property is located in a floodplain. Property owners should be aware that most homeowner's policies do not cover flood damage to one's home, and, if you feel that your home might be affected by flood waters, you may want to consider purchasing flood insurance. Your local insurance agent can arrange FEMA flood insurance for you. If your property appears to lie within a delineated floodplain as shown on the FIRM, please be advised that flood insurance may be a requirement if there is a Federally-backed mortgage on the property.