Contact: Greg Baker - Tax Commissioner
Tax Commissioner Greg Baker
6200 Fairburn Road - Douglas County Government Annex
Douglasville, Georgia 30134
- Fax: 770.920.7276
***WE HAVE MOVED! The Tax Commissioner's Office has officially moved to our new location of 6200 Fairburn Road Douglasville, GA 30134. If planning to come to our office in person please visit this new location address. The mailing address for payments is still P.O. Box 1177 Douglasville, GA 30133 or if overnighting will go to our prior address of 8700 Hospital Drive Douglasville, GA 30134 as we do not accept mail at the new location.
Congratulations to the employee of the quarter: KECIA KELLEY CLICK HERE
The Tax Commissioner's Office accepts emails from taxpayers regarding their experience in the office or any other concern. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and the Tax Commissioner's Office will contact you within 24 working business hours.
The Douglas County Tag Office is located on the first floor of the Douglas County Government Annex located at 6200 Fairburn Road Douglasville, GA 30134. CLICK HERE for a map to the Douglas County Government Annex.
The Tag Office is open 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The Tag Office is closed on County holidays. CLICK HERE for a list of County holidays.
Tag renewals may be mailed to the above address, or inserted in the drop-off box located in the parking lot on the right-hand side (south side) of the Douglas County Courthouse. They also can renewed at our two tag kiosks: Kroger located at 8501 Hospital Drive available 24/7 OR the Douglas County Government Annex lobby located at 6200 Fairburn Road which is only available during business hours.
Newly Purchased Car Registration and Tags (new and used cars)
Georgia Standard License Plate
All new purchases of vehicles, whether from a dealership or an individual, are subject to a one-time 7% State of Georgia Title Ad Valorem Tax (TAVT). This law became effective March 1, 2013. All vehicles purchased after March 1, 2013 are no longer subject to the annual ad valorem tax (birthday tax).
The Douglas County Tag Office accepts the following forms of payment with photo ID:
- Checks payable to the Douglas County Tax Commissioner;
- Debit Cards (subject to a 2.3% convenience fee);
- VISA, MasterCard, Discover and American Express Credit Cards (subject to a 2.3% convenience fee).
Tag Kiosk at Kroger, Hospital Drive
- Vehicle registration expires each year on a deadline associated with the first owner/lessee of the vehicle.
- All registrations require valid insurance submitted electronically by the insurance company. Motor vehicle owners and lessees are required by Georgia law to maintain continuous Georgia Liability Insurance coverage. CLICK HERE for the Rules and Regulations governing Acceptable Proof of Insurance in the State of Georgia.
- All vehicles 3 - 24 years old and less than 8,500 lbs. gross vehicle weight require an emission inspection each year, and the vehicle must pass the emissions test to qualify for the registration/tag renewal. Emissions testing is required in metro Atlanta counties only due to air quality concerns. Emissions testing is conducted by private contractors who charge $10 - $25 per test; there are multiple locations in Douglas County that perform this test. Test results are electronically reported to the Tag Office. CLICK HERE for Emissions Testing Locations and other related information.
- There are different Rules and Regulations for Alternative Fuel Vehicles and vehicles over 15,500 lbs. due to the Transportation Funding Act of 2015. CLICK HERE for information concerning this subject.
- Vehicle registration is comprised of three components: a metal license plate; a registration card; and an adhesive decal.
- License Plates
There are many different license plates that can be purchased. Any plate that is not a standard plate requires either extra documentation and/or comes at a higher cost.
Standard plates come in two varieties: standard and alternate standard. All standard plates cost $20.00 the first time and $20.00 when the decal is renewed. If the vehicle is under the TAVT system (purchased after March 1, 2103), the renewal fee is $20.00 per year. Non-standard plates carry an additional fee when first purchased and when they are annually renewed. CLICK HERE to find out the cost and requirements for non-standard license plates.
The license plate belongs to the vehicle owner, not the car. If the vehicle is traded in or sold, the tag owner can keep the license plate and decal so that it can be transferred to another vehicle. If the license plate has a current decal, the cost is $5.00 to transfer. For plates with expired decals, the cost is the same as when renewing registration (minus any taxes).
- Registration Cards
Upon the first purchase of a plate, the owner will receive a registration card that contains information regarding the vehicle and personal information. The card will contain:
Registration cards come with two copies - one for the vehicle and one for the house/business.
- the expiration date of the current registration
- vehicle information, including the VIN, tag number, year, make, and model
- customer record information, including name, mailing address, tax district, driver's license number and County office information
- receipt displaying all payments last associated with the vehicle.
Attached to the registration card is an adhesive decal. On it is the month and year of registration expiration, the license plate number, and a color corresponding to the current year (different color each year).
This decal is placed in the bottom right corner of the license plate as proof of current registration. Upon each annual registration, the vehicle owner will receive a new registration card with a new decal. The new decal is to be placed over the old one, or the old one may be removed and the new one placed in its previous location.
Please CLICK HERE for more information on Motor Vehicle Titles and Registration from the Georgia Department of Revenue which governs this program.
Renew your vehicle tag on-line or at our tag renewal kiosks!
- On-line Registration
Click HERE to renew your vehicle tag on line!
Douglas County has a self-service kiosk within the Kroger grocery store at 8501 Hospital Drive, Douglasville 30134. CLICK HERE for a map of the Kroger where the kiosk is located. The store is open Sunday thru Saturday from 6:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m. (except certain holidays), and the kiosk is located adjacent to the right side of the in-store pharmacy entrance. There is also a second kiosk now located at 6200 Fairburn Road Douglasville, GA 30134 in the Government Annex lobby under the stairs. The Annex-based kiosk is available Monday thru Friday 8 am to 5 pm. The kiosk can be used to renew a vehicle registration and print/dispense the license plate sticker. The kiosk has the capacity to renew up to 10 vehicles in one transaction. The cost is $3.95 per transaction plus a 2% credit card fee.
To use the kiosk, customers enter their driver's license number to retrieve their vehicle registration(s). Once retrieved, and one or more vehicles are selected for renewal, the kiosk will electronically verify a passing emission test and validate that there is adequate vehicle insurance. At this time, the car owner can use a debit or credit card for payment. After payment, the license plate sticker prints out, and can be placed immediately on the vehicle. The kiosk accepts America Express, Discover, MasterCard and VISA.
Georgia's Clean Air Force
A representative from Georgia's Clean Air Force is in the Douglas County Tag Office:
The representative is on site to help with possible exemptions and exceptions to the emissions requirements, including those for seniors, our-of-area, and repairs. No appointment is needed. CLICK HERE for more information about Georgia's Clean Air Force.
- Tuesdays, 9:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. and 2 p.m. - 5 p.m.
- Thursdays, 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. and 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Driver's License Information
Georgia Driver's Licenses are NOT available in the Douglas County Courthouse. The nearest location of Georgia Department of Driver's Services offices - where Driver's Licenses may be obtained - are:
- 114 Justice Center Drive, Dallas, GA 30132
CLICK HERE for directions; and
- 512 Old Newnan Road, AMS House, Carrollton, GA 30117
CLICK HERE for directions.
There are new Rules and Regulations on what identification items are required to get a new or renewed Driver's License. CLICK HERE to access the Georgia Department of Driver Services web site.
Disabled Persons License Plates and Parking Permits
Two types of disabled persons parking permits are issued by the Tag Office:
- temporary permit for a disability of 6 months or less; and
- permanent permit for a permanent disability.
Both types of disabled parking permits require an affidavit to be completed by a Georgia physician and submitted to the Tag Office. CLICK HERE for the Disabled Person's Parking Affidavit form.
Disabled license plates are only issued to individuals with a permanent disability. The vehicle must be titled in the name of the disabled person, or the owner of the vehicle must be the spouse, parent, or legal guardian of the disabled person.
This web page populated, designed and constructed by the Douglas County Department of Communications & Community Relations.