Building Permits and Inspections-Commercial and Residential
Building Permits and Inspections-Commercial and Residential
Contact: Sally Beckett - Permit Technician
8700 Hospital Drive - First Floor, Douglas County Courthouse
Douglasville, Georgia 30134
- Fax: 770.920.7356
The Building Permits and Inspections Department is dedicated to helping protect the life, health and property of all the citizens of Douglas County from hazards of faulty design and construction.
The Building Permits and Inspections Department is housed within the Development Services cooperative departments area on the first floor of the Douglas County Courthouse, and is open from 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM, Mondays - Fridays.
Permits are issued from 9:00 AM - 3:45 PM, Mondays - Fridays. Issued permits are for Building New or Remodel, HVAC (heating, ventilation, air conditioning), Plumbing (including lawn irrigation systems) and Electrical work (including low voltage/security systems). Vinyl Siding is no longer allowed on New Single Family Dwellings. Inspections may be scheduled via a voice-mail system at 770.920.7333 between the hours of 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM Monday thru Friday.
The state is requiring that all people involved in land disturbance have a certification. For information on the certification process please refer to the GSWCC website
SPECIAL NOTE: As of January 2rd, 2014 the Douglas County BOC has adopted the following changes to the ICC codes and amendments to the State Minimum Standard Codes.
(2014) Georgia State Amendments International Building Code (IBC), 2012 Edition With 2015 Amendments International Residential Code (IRC) for One- and Two-Family Dwellings, 2012 Edition With 2014 Amendments International Fire Code (IFC), 2012 Edition With 2014 Amendments International Plumbing Code (IPC), 2012 Edition With 2014 Amendments International Mechanical Code (IMC), 2012 Edition With 2015 Amendments National Green Building Standard (NGBS), 2008 Edition With 2011 Amendments International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC), 2012 Edition With 2014 Amendments International Energy Conservation Code (IECC), 2009 Edition With 2011 & 2012 Supplements & Amendments 2014 Edition of the National Electrical Code With 2009 Amendments 2012 Edition of the International Property Maintenance Code With 2015 Amendments 2015 Amendments to the 2012 Edition of the International Fuel Gas Code 2012 Amendments to the 2012 Edition of the International Energy Conservation Code 2010 Amendments to the 2012 Edition of the International Building Code 2015 Amendments to the 2012 Edition of the International Plumbing Code 2011 Amendments to the 2012 Edition of the International Residential Code
Residential Building Permit Instructions in Spanish
Las instrucciones del permiso de edificio residencial estan dispenibles ahora en espanol. Usted puede tomar uno en el contador delantero en el departmento de servicios del desarrollo.
BUILDING INSPECTION PHONE LINE-770.920.7333
The hours of the Building Department's Inspection Line are Monday -Friday from 9:00 AM-5:00 PM Please take advantage of the 24-hour on line permitting and inspection request system through the Builder's Radius Subscription Service. IMPORTANT NOTE: Builders must have your State Contractor's license, Business license and driver's license in order to obtain a building permit from our department. If you have a qualifying agent that will obtain your permits, they must also provide their Qualifying Agent card, driver's license and an affidavit with the specific property information, proper signatures and notarized in order to obtain a building permit. If you have any questions, please contact the Building Department at 770.920.7201. You may also contact Builder's Radius directly at 1.888.592.5336.
Items of Improvement - Please Note
SPECIAL NOTES: Beginning January 1st, 2009, all new one or two-family homes and townhouses consisting of three or more stories will require Carbon Monoxide Monitors.
Beginning March 4th, 2009, prior to any inspections, all property lines immediately adjacent to any proposed structure, shall be staked by a registered land surveyor in order to assure all required setbacks have been met.
The following is a list of items that the Inspections Department has found to be in non-compliance in many homes we have inspected over the past few months. Please bring these items to the attention of your contractors to ensure that this work is performed correctly.
- The bottom of a footing must be installed 12 inches below undisturbed soil. This includes the daylight section of the basement.
- Do not overbore holes in standard lumber. The Code requires that a hole not exceed 1/3 the size of the lumber in the floor joist and ceiling joist.
- Siding should be installed 6 inches above the ground, and 2 inches above any concrete, such as a walkway.
- All plumbing should be checked by the plumber prior to inspection.
- The gas line must be air tested.
- A house must be dried in with a roof in place before a rough electrical and H.V.A.C. system can be installed and inspected.
- The electrical panel must be in place with the cover in place before any "Temp-Perm" power inspection can be made.
- We are seeing a problem with the spans of headers and girders in houses. The Code has a chart located in section 502 of the IRC Code Book. Please keep abreast of this requirement.
- A lot of the blue card permits are not being posted as they are required. This card is one of the four methods of recording an inspection; please keep it accessible to County inspectors.
- With the use of different materials other than OSB board on sheeting for houses now, we are finding that bracing is not up to Code in some cases. Please make sure that your bracing is adequate and in compliance with the Code.
- Clean-up around houses that are under construction is also not being done well. Please keep your site up as good as possible. It makes it safe, and helps sell the house, too!
- NOTE: AS OF JUNE 24, 2011 ANY PLUMBING PERMITS THAT ARE PURCHASED ON OR AFTER THIS DATE WILL NO LONGER REQUIRE AFFIDAVITS FOR THE WATER AND SEWER LINE INSTALLATIONS. THE BUILDING DEPARTMENT WILL NOW BE CHARGING FOR THE WATER AND SEWER LINES AND WILL BE PERFORMING INSPECTIONS FOR ALL WATER AND SEWER LINE INSTALLATIONS.
If you have any questions, contact the Building Department at 770.920.7201.
- Be sure your steps are not too high.
The Building Code requires that each step is not over 7 3/4 inches high.
- Be sure you protect your deck openings.
The Building Code states that no sphere over 4 inches can pass through any opening in the deck.
- The Plumbing Code requires that an irrigation system must have a back flow prevention device installed between a potable and non-potable water system. A rain shut-off switch must be installed in an irrigation system. Please permit all newly installed irrigation systems.
- Don't try it yourself.
The Code requires that any major plumbing repair be done by a licensed plumber. If it's too big, or you don't know how, call an expert.
- Change your filters.
Your heating and cooling filters should be changed on a regular basis. Check with your HVAC dealer or your home store to get the correct size filters.
- Smell Gas?
If you think you have a gas leak, call a professional. This could cause an explosion.
- Turn off the power.
Any electrical work should be done with all of the power turned off to the area in which you are working. Don't try it unless you know what you are doing. Call an electrician. Don't overload a circuit. Know how much electricity you are using on each circuit.
Holiday Office Closings
The Building Department will be closed on the following business days:
- Veteran's Day Friday November 10th
- Thanksgiving Day Thursday November 23rd
- Day After Thanksgiving Friday November 24th
- Christmas Day Monday December 25th
- Day After Christmas Tuesday December 26th
- New Year's Day Monday January 1st, 2018
- M.L. King, Jr. Birthday Monday January 15th
- Good Friday Friday March 30th
- Memorial Day Monday May 28th
- Independence Day Wednesday July 4th
- Labor Day Monday September 3rd
- Veterans Day Monday November 12th
- Thanksgiving Day Thursday November 22nd
- Day After Thanksgiving Friday November 23rd
- Christmas Eve Monday December 24th
- Christmas Day Tuesday December 25th