Fire/EMS Department >> Hiring Process / Recruit Academy
Hiring Process / Recruit Academy
Contact: Douglas County Fire Department Training Division
- Fax: 770-920-7153
APPLICATIONS, ACCUPLACER SCORES AND OTHER SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION WILL BE ACCEPTED 5/1/2018 thru 5/31/2018
Douglas County Fire Department, located just west of Atlanta is pleased to announce the opening of full time firefighter/EMT positions.
Our combined Fire/EMS department provides emergency medical services to a suburban community of approximately 202 square miles.
Shifts are rotated on a 24 hour on duty/48 hour off duty schedule and staff assignments include positions on an ambulance, engine, truck or heavy rescue.
All required training will be conducted in house.
Starting Salary $34,400/yr. (Increases to $37,925/yr. after licensed at the level of EMT/Firefighter. Both courses are offered in house).
Benefits include health and dental coverage, defined benefit pension plan, life insurance and more.
None exempt employees are eligible for overtime.
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Possess a High School Diploma or equivalent
- Have not been convicted of a felony within the last ten (10 Years)
- Have a valid Driver's License with no serious traffic offenses of DUI convictions within the last five (5) years.
- Be in good physical condition as determined by Douglas County's Physical Agility and a medical examination.
1. 5/1/2018 - 5/31/2018 Applications will be accepted by the Douglas County Courthouse. Applications can be emailed, mailed or hand delivered. Click here for application and additional submission instructions. How to Submit Applications:
- Faxes are not accepted
- E-mail the application: firstname.lastname@example.org
- or mail to: Douglas County Human Resources 8700 Hospital Drive Douglasville, GA 30134
2. 5/1/2018 - 5/31/2018 Applicants will need to complete the Accuplacer exam. The Accuplacer exam is offered at most technical colleges. Accuplacer exam results dated on or after 5/01/2017 will be accepted. Candidates will need to complete the following areas: Reading and Comprehension, Sentence Skills and Arithmetic. Submit Accuplacer exam results to:
- Fax to 770-920-7153. Attn: Courtney Eubanks. (Originals will be required during your interview process).
- E-mail email@example.com
- or mail to: Douglas County Fire Department 6856 W. Broad Street Douglasville, GA 30134
- or hand delivered
3. 6/6/2018 - 6/8/2018 Physical Agility Testing. All components will be demonstrated during the applicants testing time slot and a release of liability form must be completed. Additional information can be found under "downloadable documents". Components of the physical agility requirements include:
- Stair Climb
- Ladder Extension
- Ventilation Exercise
- Hose Advance
- Rescue Drag
- Ladder Removal/Replacement
- Pipe Crawl
4. 6/6/2018 - 6/8/2018 Preliminary Interviews with training staff, background check completion and applicant ranking.
a. Applicants will attend an informal interview process with members of the training staff and a command officer.
b. The background check will be conducted following the preliminary interview. This check will review information available from law enforcement agencies and the Department of Driver Services.
5. 6/6/2018 - 6/8/2018 Oral interviews with command staff
a. The applicant will participate in an oral interview with members of the command staff. Individuals will be contacted after all interviews are conducted for those moving through to the polygraph process. In addition to the previous steps, background check information, previous employment history and references will also be reviewed.
6. 6/12/2018 - 7/6/2018 Polygraphs
a. Polygraphs will be conducted by The Georgia Bureau of Investigation at 3121 Panthersville Road, Decatur, GA 30034
7. Job Offers will be made to the top ranking applicants based upon the results of the hiring process.
8. A medical screening will be conducted after a conditional job offer is made.
** Applicants who are offered a Firefighter/EMT Recruit position with the Douglas County Fire Department will be required to sign an "Agreement for Reimbursement". This contract will include the applicant's agreement to work a minimum of two (2) years with Douglas County Fire Department. ** A copy of this agreement can be requested by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants who are offered a conditional job offer from Douglas County Fire Department will begin the recruit academy on 7/30/2018.
The recruit academy will begin with a Georgia Department of Public Health ("GDPH") approved EMT/AEMT program. After successful course completion, newly hired employees will be able to start field operations pending the next Douglas County Fire Department Fire Recruit Class (offered in fall and spring).
Click HERE to see previous Douglas County Fire Department Recruit Classes.