Chairman Worthan with Senator Isaakson
The Chairman of the Douglas County Board of Commissioners is elected in a County-wide referendum every four years. Chairman Worthan took office January 1, 2005. The Chairman serves as the chief elected officer of the County, is a full-time office holder, and, with the Board of Commissioners, sets policies, procedures, and budgets for the County.
Tom has lived most of his life in Douglas County, the son of the late Mayor of the City of Douglasville, J. Tom and Margaret Worthan. He has been married to the former Linda Bennett of Lithia Springs since 1968. Linda and Tom have three children (Stephanie, Shannon, and Brad), two wonderful sons-in-law (Eric Sanders and Jarrod Smith), and four grandchildren (Haeven Sanders, Wesley Smith, Tate Sanders, and Thomas Crue Smith).
Tom was educated in the Douglas County School System and attended Georgia State University. He worked in the paper and plastic industry for 36 years, 34 of those with Fulton Paper Company as a field sales representative specializing in commercial and industrial accounts.
The family has owned and operated Atlanta West Hair Company, located on East Church Street in historic downtown Douglasville, for 20 years. It is the only facility in Douglas County with a private consultation room for hair replacement, a service for patients who are undergoing chemotherapy.
Tom served 8 years in the Army National Guard out of the Douglasville Armory; he was Honorably Discharged in 1970.
He has worked over 20 years with the youth of Douglas County. His dedication and commitment to youth sports has always been an important and viable component in his life, having coached baseball, football, softball and basketball. He held numerous offices in the Lithia Springs Girls Club, and was Athletic Director of the Lithia Springs Recreation Club.
Tom is a Charter member of the Republican National Committee, a lifetime member of the Georgia Association of County Commissioners, and a member of the National Rifle Association. He is a Mason, a member of Battle Hill Lodge #523, Lions Club, American Legion Post #145, and a Shriner. The Worthans are members of Lithia Springs First Baptist Church.
Tom has been elected five times as County Commissioner, the past three as Chairman.
Tom has also represented Douglas County in the Georgia House of Representatives.
- Chairman, Douglas County Board of Health
- Chairman, Douglas County Community Services Board
- Chairman, Douglas Health Futures Foundation
- Board of Directors, Douglasville-Douglas County Water and Sewer Authority
- Board of Directors, United Way of Douglas County
- Member, Douglas County Chamber of Commerce Chairman's Club
- Member, Atlanta Regional Commission Executive Board (2005 - present)
- Member, Regional Transit Committee
- Member, Metropolitan North Georgia Water Planning District
- Member, Regional Commission on Homelessness
- Member, Atlanta Regional Commission Aging Services Committee
- Vice-Chairman, Atlanta Regional Commission Transportation and Air Quality Committee (2007 - 2010)
- Chairman, Atlanta Regional Commission Tranportation and Air Quality Committee (2010 - present)
- Under the Transportation Investment Act of 2010, Atlanta Regional Commission Member Elected to the Roundtable Executive Committee
- Governor appointed Member, Transit Governance Committe Task Force (2011)
- Governor appointed Member, Georgia Regional Transportation Authority (GRTA)
State of the County 2013