Director of Communications and Community Relations
8700 Hospital Drive
Third Floor, Douglas County Courthouse
Douglasville, Georgia 30134
THE PARADE WITH A PURPOSE!
COME JOIN US FOR THE NATION'S ONLY NIGHTTIME LIGHTED VETERANS DAY PARADE!
Veterans Day, November 11th, 7 p.m., Douglas County
The annual Veterans Day Lighted Parade is a nighttime parade through the streets of Douglasville on November 11th, Veterans Day, beginning at 7:00 p.m.
Line-up is at 5:30 p.m. in the parking lots of Douglas County High School, and step-off is promptly at 7:00 p.m.
There is no entry fee to be in the parade, but all parade units must salute our veterans, active military and/or the US Flag. The parade is a nighttime parade, so units are required to be lighted - walking units need flashlights or lanterns; mobile units should light/decorate themselves in lights. Patriotic music by the units is encouraged. The parade route is lighted by street lights, but lighting of the units adds a special element to the parade.
Veterans groups, military units, JROTC units, school and church groups, civic clubs and organizations, and the general Public regularly participate in the parade.
The route of the parade goes from the high school north on Campbellton Street to Church Street (Regions Bank), west on Church Street to Bowden Street (old Douglasville Police Department), south on Bowden to Woodrow and Campbellton back to the high school, a route of approximately one mile.
Parade Registration is Now Closed for 2013. See you at the Parade!
Parade Rules and Regulations
- This is a parade with a purpose: to honor the US Flag, our veterans and our active military. Other promotions are not allowed in the parade. All parade units are required to be in compliance with the purpose.
- The parade is designed and parade entries will be placed. You may not change your parade line-up location without prior approval of the parade organizers. Parade design includes music to not overlap, walking units to not be overtaken by vehicles, US Flag protocols, etc.
- All units are required to “light” themselves for the nighttime parade. All vehicles must be decorated.
- Parade units may not throw candy or other items from moving vehicles or floats. Parade entries may distribute these types of items from people walking alongside the vehicles or floats. No promotional, fund-raising or political items may be distributed.
- Persons riding in vehicles or floats must be secured from falling. Floats with riders must contain railings.
- The parade route is as follows:
- line-up in the front and side parking lots of Douglas County High School, 8705Campbellton Street
- parade proceeds out the front driveway and goes north on Campbellton Street
- performance/television filming area is on Campbellton Street between Spring Street and Church Street in front of BB&T Bank
- parade turns west on Church Street through downtown Douglasville
- parade turns south on Bowden, Woodrow and Campbellton back to the high school parking lots.
- All units must have signage or a banner identifying the group.
- Flag etiquette will be observed at all times.
- Political entries, signs and/or statements will not be allowed.
- Waiver and Release: All parade entry persons, businesses and organizations hereby agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Douglas County Board of Commissioners, its employees, contractors and volunteers from personal injury or property damage occurring to the entry and any personal injury or property damage to any third person or entity arising out of directly or indirectly by the participation in the parade. The parade entry assumes all risks and liabilities incurred for its members and groups.
- There is no cost to be in the parade. However, all entries must have prior approval from the Douglas County Communications Department (event sponsor), and all parade entries must comply with the information submitted in their parade entry application.