Douglas County’s second sheriff was Evan R. Whitley who had served as deputy under Tom Selman. Whitley moved to Campbellton from Greene County, GA, where he had been a slave dealer before the Civil War. During the war he served as captain of Company E, 35th Georgia Infantry. He is buried in Douglasville.
Whitley, who served as sheriff from 1873 to 1874 and again in 1877 to 1878, died with one week remaining in his second term. He and his wife, Mary Rice, were the parents of John J. Whitley (grandfather of Mrs. Henley Hutcheson of Douglasville) and Dr. Thomas Rice Whitley. Dr. Whitley served in the state legislature and was a co-founder of Douglasville College. His adopted son founded J. Cowan Whitley Funeral Home in Douglasville.