Programs and Projects
South Douglas Scenic Byway
The South Douglas Scenic Byway is a proposal to designate 19 miles of Highway 166 as a part of the Georgia Scenic Byways Program. Designation as a scenic byway highlights the scenic, cultural, natural, archaeological, historic and recreational sites along the corridor. If selected for inclusion in the network of Georgia Scenic Byways, future growth along the corridor will be guided by a Corridor Management Plan.
Highway 78 - Douglas County's Main Street
Highway 78 is Douglas County’s Main Street. The story of this corridor reflects key milestones in America’s history. In conjunction with the knowledge and memories of community stakeholders, Douglas County is using public records to document the evolution of this area in support of a small area plan for the community.
The Steering Committee for the Lithia Springs Small Area Plan met via Microsoft Teams on December 4, 2020, January 15, 2021 and March 19, 2021. The agenda, meeting summary and presentation for all meetings are available below. Reach out to Allison Duncan at 678-715-5370 with questions or comments on this process.
- December 4, 2020 Steering Committee Agenda
- December 4, 2020 Steering Committee Presentation
- December 4, 2020 Steering Committee Meeting Summary
- January 15, 2021 Steering Committee Meeting Agenda
- January 15, 2021 Steering Committee Presentation
- January 15, 2021 Steering Committee Meeting Summary
- March 19, 2021 Steering Committee Meeting Agenda
- March 19, 2021 Steering Committee Meeting Presentation
- March 19, 2021 Steering Committee Meeting Summary
- Draft Lithia Springs Small Area Plan Recommendations
Thornton/Bankhead Urban Redevelopment Plan
The Urban Redevelopment Plan for portions of Thornton Road and Bankhead Highway was adopted on Tuesday, June 5, 2012. An Urban Redevelopment Plan is a general blueprint for redevelopment and targeting of public and/or private investments in an identified redevelopment area. The adoption of an Urban Redevelopment Plan is the first step in the process of receiving an Opportunity Zone designation. This area has been designated as an Opportunity Zone by the State of Georgia.