All new purchases of vehicles, whether from a dealership or an individual, are subject to a one-time 6.6% State of Georgia Title Ad Valorem Tax (TAVT). This law became effective March 1, 2013. All vehicles purchased after March 1, 2013 are no longer subject to the annual ad valorem tax (birthday tax).
- If the vehicle purchase is made at a car dealership, the dealer must accept the application for title and TAVT payment on the purchaser’s behalf, and deliver the title application and TAVT payment to the Tag Office.
- If the vehicle purchase is made from an individual/source other than a dealership, the application for title and TAVT payment must be paid in the Tag Office by the new owner at the time application for title and registration are made.
The Douglas County Tag Office accepts the following forms of payment with photo ID:
- Checks payable to the Douglas County Tax Commissioner
- Debit Cards (subject to a 2.3% convenience fee)
- VISA, MasterCard, Discover and American Express Credit Cards (subject to a 3% convenience fee)