Family / Education
Renee Godwin and her family are long-time residents of Douglas County. Renee is a product of the Atlanta Public School System. Renee attended Morris Brown College.
Peace Officer Certification
As a Georgia Certified Peace Officer, Coroner Godwin has performed various law enforcement duties, including but not limited to:
- Coordinated law enforcement training classes at the Fulton County Public Safety Training Center
- Coordinated recruiting; performed background investigations on Police Candidates
- Crimes in progress and investigated open cases as assigned
- Managed the Agency’s State Certification and National Accreditation.
- Patrolled various neighborhoods throughout the Metropolitan Atlanta area
- Providing security and law enforcement services inside the jail
In addition to obtaining Peace Officer certification, Coroner Godwin is a Peace Officers Standards & Training Certified General Instructor, Certified Gang Resistance Education & Training (G.R.E.A.T.) Instructor, Taser Instructor, and is a Board member and a State Certified Assessor for the Georgia Police Accreditation Coalition (which offers professional certification for Georgia’s various Law Enforcement Agencies).
In addition to the Georgia Police Accreditation Coalition, Coroner Godwin is a member of:
- Fraternal Oder of Police
- Georgia Coroner’s Association
- International Association of Coroner’s and Medical Examiners
- International Brotherhood of Police Officers
- National Association of Women Law Enforcement Executives
- National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives
Renee has dedicated her life to public service. Specifically, Renee has over 27 years as a law enforcement professional, serving the Metropolitan Atlanta area. Included in her illustrious career, Renee is proud to have served Douglas County Deputy Sheriff as well, under the leadership of Sheriff Phil Miller.
The culmination of Coroner Godwin Law Enforcement career points to her continued quest for personal and organizational professionalism. Coroner Godwin has assisted multiple agencies with obtaining and maintaining their National Accreditations and State certifications. Coroner Godwin was a recipient of a Senate Resolution 394 from State Senator Donzell J. James of the 35th District for Outstanding Public Service awarded March 2017.
Renee graciously thanks the citizens in Douglas County for entrusting her to serve as your County Coroner.